CS Lewis once said that "grief is like the sky, it covers everything." In recent weeks, our family has found that this is so very true. It seems that there is no right or wrong way to travel this path of grief. I have created this blog in hopes that some day we will be able to look back on our journey and see written proof that our great God never leaves us. God is good all the time.

Celebrating Laynee

You might want to scroll to the bottom of this page and pause the music before playing this video.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Laynee's Flowers

I love flowers and have many of them planted around my house.  Last spring one day when I picked Laynee up at Kathy's, where she went one day a week while I worked, Kathy had dug up some of this perrenial plant for us.  The memory of planting these flowers with Laynee is so vivid in my mind.  She was delighted to be able to help me with the planting.  She loved pouring the water from the sprinkler out and would have given just about anything to put her hands in the bucket of plant food.  What a beautiful little helper she was.  What joy she brought to me. 

Laynee never got to see the flowers on this plant.  They did not bloom last year as they were so newly planted.  Now they are here, so delicate and beautiful.  How I wish she could see them.  The flowers serve as a reminder to me that life goes on.  Things change, tragedy strikes, life goes on.  We keep growing, even through the harshest seasons of our life.   I shall never look at these dainty white flowers without thinking of my little girl and her dear Kathy.  The flowers will remind that joy and sorrow can exist simultaneously within one heart.  They will remind me that our creator is still "growing" me.

Planted just behind Laynee's flowers are some orange lillies.  These have always been a favorite of my flowers.  They bloom in early summer and are by far the most majestic plant in the garden.  They seem to positively burst with life. Their blooms are huge and stunningly beautiful.  Though it was happenstance,  it now seems approriate that these most extrazagant flowers grow just behind Laynee's daintiest of flowers.  It is as though they smile down on her.  A gentle reminder of how great our God is in comparison to us.  Though we are small, we are precious and valued by our mighty God.  Just as He created every detail of these flowers, He is in control of every detail of our life. 

God is good............all the time.


1 comment:

  1. Good morning,
    The orange lilies that I got from you earlier this spring are blooming so beautiful and yesterday while working in the yard, I thought
    how Laynee would love the BIG flower - she loved to pick the small wild clover flowers, how fun the big ones would be for her to pick.
    On this Memorial Day weekend, may the memories
    of the flowers and our precious Laynee Girl
    live forever.
    (As I posted my comment, the password had the
    letters LILY in it-I believe that she has more
    orange lilies in heaven to pick than we could
    possibly have in our gardens!!!)

    With Love,
    Fern

    ReplyDelete