CS Lewis once said that "grief is like the sky, it covers everything." In recent weeks, our family has found that this is so very true. It seems that there is no right or wrong way to travel this path of grief. I have created this blog in hopes that some day we will be able to look back on our journey and see written proof that our great God never leaves us. God is good all the time.

Celebrating Laynee

You might want to scroll to the bottom of this page and pause the music before playing this video.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Summer's First Tragedy

As summer makes it's appearance in warm weather and sunshine, I've seen evidence of many people who are opening their pools for the season.  When I see this I am reminded that it's almost inevitable, there are children who will drown in pools this summer.  I see pools that are not fenced and ladders leaning up against above ground pools, and I know that somewhere, somehow a mother, a father, or other caregiver will, in their humanness, lose sight of their children for just a moment.  I know also that for some that very human mistake will be fatal.

As Jim read this evenings news, he found that just a few miles from us, a family is living every parents nightmare.  A three year old drowned in his family's backyard pool.    My heart aches for the pain, the sorrow, the horror that this family will endure.  I know that within the last few hours a mother or father has been thrust into a path that they did not choose.  They will never be the same as they were when they woke this morning.  Their world has crashed around them and there is vacancy in their hearts that can never be filled.  They will weep, they will mourn, they will lament and I pray that they will cling to a God whose ways are higher than our own. 

Please lift them up in prayer. 

1 comment:

  1. I've thought the very same thing as we approach the summer and the unfortunate drowning season. It's just so sad...

    May I post this on Facebook? My reason is so that I can make people more aware to be extra watchful this swimming season.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete