CS Lewis once said that "grief is like the sky, it covers everything." In recent weeks, our family has found that this is so very true. It seems that there is no right or wrong way to travel this path of grief. I have created this blog in hopes that some day we will be able to look back on our journey and see written proof that our great God never leaves us. God is good all the time.

Celebrating Laynee

You might want to scroll to the bottom of this page and pause the music before playing this video.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Two years ago today my sister in law, Susan said her last earthly good bye to her mother.  She had battled cancer for quite some time.  Susan and my brother, Dale, have two daughters, Amelia and Chloe.  It struck me today that it seems terribly ufair that two little girls should have to say "good bye" to their dear grandma and then their little cousin within one year. 

It also occured to me that a year ago Susan's family was in the very place that I am in right now.  They were remembering the events that took place just 12 months earlier.  Though I am ashamed to admit this, last year I likely did not remember that September 2 marked the date of her passing.   I undoubtedly spent that day without even thinking of or praying for her family.  I have no excuse, no defense, except to say "I didn't know."  I did not know that the deep, unspeakable pain does not lessen with time.  It was lost on me that the sadness becomes etched into one's very soul.  I had no idea what it was to miss someone so desperately.  It is with great regret that I think of the many people close to me who have expereinced the death of a loved one, and know that I did not remember their pain a year later.

I know that many will say that the death of a child is not the same as the death of a parent.  Others may say that death after a lengthy ilness is different from tragic, unexpected death.  There is no denying either of these facts.  There is a difference, I'm sure, but being different does not make one any worse than the other.  Being different does not mean that the pain is less or that they are not missed as much.

I had to smile today as I thought of Susan's mother, Miriam, and Laynee walking hand in hand in heaven.  I can imagine her laughing and smiling at Laynee's silly ways.  I even had to laugh as I thought of Miriam trying to keep up with my busy little Laynee Bee.  I would imagine that, because they both loved Dale, Susan and the girls,   they spent the day  watching over them today. 
  And he shall give his angels charge over thee,
to keep thee in all thy ways.
Psalm 91:11

No comments:

Post a Comment