CS Lewis once said that "grief is like the sky, it covers everything." In recent weeks, our family has found that this is so very true. It seems that there is no right or wrong way to travel this path of grief. I have created this blog in hopes that some day we will be able to look back on our journey and see written proof that our great God never leaves us. God is good all the time.

Celebrating Laynee

You might want to scroll to the bottom of this page and pause the music before playing this video.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Glasses


My friend Jody mentioned Laynee's glasses in a comment to me this morning.   It brought a smile and I just have to share a lovely Laynee story. 
Just a few weeks before the accident, Laynee's eye doctor prescribed glasses.  We knew we were in for a real treat, and what a treat it was.  We had a hard time finding glasses to fit her as she has very little bridge to her nose.  We tried several pair on and decided on a pair that seemed to work well but just needed to be the next size bigger.  We went ahead and ordered them only to find that this size wasn't a great fit.  We tried this pair for a few weeks before deciding we were going to have to get a different pair, made specifially for kids with Down Syndrome, but never got that oppurtunity.  I'll never forget her smile when she first looked through the lenses, as if truly seeing for the first time, if only they stayed up on her nose.

She notoriously hid those crazy glasses.  True to that eager to please attitude, she always told us where she hid them.  One day we could not find the glasses.  I kept asking "Laynee where are your glasses?"  She would walk into the laundry room and just stand by the door next to the washer.  We looked around the washer but no glasses.  We kept asking and finally when she went to that door I said "Jalayne Grace Holmes, you tell mommy where you hid your glasses!!!"  She beamed one of her gorgeous smiles at me and pointed to a hole in the back panel of the washer, put there I assume, to be able to see the hoses.  This hole is only about 2 inches square.  Grant and I pulled out the machine and I peered down the hole with a flash light and there was the glimmer of her lenses.  We unscrewed the back panel and there were her glasses along with a few toys and spoons.  I wondered what was happening to all my spoons.  This is such a perfect example of our Laynee.  So ornery, such a little stinker, but always so eager to please us.  Our Tomboy Princess.  I stuffed a rag in that hole to keep her from hiding anything else in there.  It's still there and though it's not easily visible, sometimes when I go out that laundry room door I catch a glimpse of it and it hurts. 

1 comment:

  1. So adorable...glasses add such a nice little bit of character, in my opinion, but I might be biased. :o)

    ReplyDelete