CS Lewis once said that "grief is like the sky, it covers everything." In recent weeks, our family has found that this is so very true. It seems that there is no right or wrong way to travel this path of grief. I have created this blog in hopes that some day we will be able to look back on our journey and see written proof that our great God never leaves us. God is good all the time.

Celebrating Laynee

You might want to scroll to the bottom of this page and pause the music before playing this video.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sundays are tough

Sundays tend to be the most difficult days, especially for Jim. There are so many beautiful memories of Laynee and yet there aren't enough. On Sunday mornings Laynee would rise early and get to come into bed with mommy and daddy. Of course she didn't sit still for one second but we loved every moment. She'd try to stand up and walk across the bed only to stumble over legs or arms and plop back down, usually on top of us. If we would turn and face away from her she'd lean over us and stick her face right in ours. We would take extra care with her hair and clothes on Sunday mornings and then she and I would go to the girls bathroom to show them how pretty she was in her sweet dresses. She didn't stay clean and pretty for long. She'd usually run into her room and come out with a pair of shorts on her head....so much for fancy hair. On Sunday afternoons, after her nap, she would follow daddy around outside. He'd ride tirelessly with her on the golf cart showing her the heehee's and the moo's. Sundays are quiet now without her baby voice and laughter. One of the things I miss most is the sound of her footsteps walking across the floor. Daddy walks outside without his little girl holding his hand. The slide stands silent with no little girl going up instead of down it. The golf cart has not left the shed since September 7th but I look outside and see her sitting there next to her daddy, her hair blowing carefree in the wind and her face glowing with peace and happiness. Her swing glides empty in the wind, a quiet symbol of the emptiness in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Jim, Karol, and my sweet nieces and nephews.
    I too want to call you daily to see how your doing but it seems so inadequate and silly. So we lift you up daily in our prayers. I too miss Laynee and her smiley face and Aunt Ida hugs. As Larry and I raked leaves Saturday I remember doing this last year as Laynee sat in our stroller watching us. I was always suppose to keep her awake so she would take a nap when you got her home. I do have to confess Karol she did fall asleep for about 20 minutes not sure if I told you that when you picked her up. I think Laynee and I kept that one a secret.
    As your big sister I want to take the pain away and take it myself. I am a fixer and it drives me crazy that I can't fix this one. Larry says "Ida, the Lord has his reasons for not letting you be a fixer lady." I told Larry it is a double wammy for us we miss laynee and hate that you guys are suffering. I shed many tears for you and I too have an empty place in my heart. I have experienced in tough situations people dont know what to say so sometimes they say nothing. I was told later that it was not because they didn't care they just didn't have the right words or know what to say. It is a fear that I will upset you more and that's the last thing I want to do. So from a big sister to her baby sister we love you, and will pray for you without ceasing. XXXOOO Ida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karol and Family,
    Thanks for starting the blog. Everyone asks how your family is doing and I really dont know what to say but "Just keep them in your prayers." We miss Laynee so much. When we go out to do our chores everyday, we think of her helping us feed the heehees carrots from the garden. I am sure she is feeding many beautiful heehees in heaven to this very day. Dani and I were talking the other day...we decided, since the day was so gorgeous out, that Laynee would be coming over on the golfcart to feed the heehees and having a fit when she had to go back home. What precious memories we do have of this angel. Thanks again and we love you all.
    Karla

    ReplyDelete